You will read and see (if you haven’t already) a lot about, and of the collaboration. The collection involves a lot of florals and great pieces.
But here, how about we get to know a little bit this talented Erdem?
- Erdem Moralioğlu was born in Montreal in 1976 to a British mother and a Turkish father. His father was a chemical engineer and his mother stayed at home to take care of the twins – Erdem and his sister Sara .
- He got interested in fashion at a young age, saying “I was preoccupied with the way women looked and their accoutrements from a very early age, like my mother’s Saint Laurent lipstick or her Guerlain Shalimar perfume. I found these codes of femininity really interesting” .
- The first dress he designed was for his sister Sara’s Barbie, it was blue and had a circle skirt with a little bodice .
- He earned a bachelor’s degree in fashion at Ryerson University in Toronto, and a master degree in the Royal College of Art in London .
- Erdem interned at Vivienne Westwood and Diane von Furstenberg before launching his own label .
- He established his own label in 2005 in London; and is known for his blend of overtly feminine silhouettes, meticulous custom-designed prints, and precision-cut designs [2, 3, 4].
- Erdem has received numerous awards over the years: “the 2008 British Fashion Council’s Fashion Forward Award, the 2010 inaugural Vogue / British Fashion Council Designer Fashion Fund Award, the 2012 British Fashion Council’s New Establishment Award, the 2013 British Fashion Council’s Red Carpet Award, the 2014 British Fashion Council’s Womenswear Designer of the Year Award, the 2015 British Fashion Council’s Establishment Designer Award, the 2016 Fashion Group International Fashion Star Award and most recently the Canadian Arts & Fashion International Canadian Designer of the Year Award” .
- His influences include: Yves Saint Laurent, Lisa Fonssagrives-Penn, Nina Simone, London, … 
- In 2015, the designer teamed up with Sotheby’s London. Erdem selected 8 artworks to be part of the Contemporary Curated sale. He handpicked works that inspire him most, including pieces by Alex Katz, George Condo and Yayoi Kusama [7,8].
- His famous clients include: Kate Middleton, Natalie Portman, Kate Bosworth, Keira Knightley, …
- In 2015, Erdem celebrated his brand’s 10-year anniversary. For that occasion, he asked Sølve Sundsbø to shoot 10 looks from the past 10 years to be featured in a signed, limited-edition book. The book was bound with fabric from Erdem’s first collection. Every cent from the book went back to the British Fashion Council’s Education Foundation. Why? Because the latter saved him from dropping out of fashion shool: “At one point it was so difficult to pay my fees at the Royal College of Art that I had to win a scholarship to be able to stay” [9,10].
P.S.: Featured image credit: H&M